We are always actively looking for additional employees who are excited about the opportunities that Hermann Sand & Gravel and Missouri River Towing can provide for their professional advancement. Positions include:
Dredge Crew: Daytime shift, home at night. Working on the dredge, barges, and heavy equipment mining material from the river at Hermann or Jefferson City. Prior experience preferred but not required.
Deck Hands: 24 days on – 12 days off, live onboard. Barge handling and equipment maintenance. Prior experience preferred but not required.
Mates: 24 days on – 12 days off, live onboard. Prior experience preferred but not required.
Engineers: 24 days on – 12 days off, live onboard. Prior experience required.
Captains: Trip-work or fulltime; 24 days on – 12 days off, live onboard. Valid USCG Mariners credentials required.
All applicants are required to possess a valid driver’s license, and are subject to drug and fitness testing.
Full-time employment provides full benefits including training, return to work and employee referral bonuses.
If you believe you have what it takes, please apply for a job with the attached application. Click Here to Download Application. You may email your completed application to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to 573-486-1407.
Check back frequently for posted openings.
We are seeking a Port Engineer with River Experience. Attached is a brief job description.
Responsibilities for Port Engineer:
- Schedule and coordinate required vessel inspections, necessary maintenance, and repairs
- Coordinate and oversee shipyard repairs.
- Manage USCG/TSMS internal and external surveys
- Work closely with vendors and management on a daily basis.
- Handle special duty assignments requested by company management.
- Monitor and verify work done by shipyards or outside technicians.
- Follow repairs per OEM specifications
- Liaison with the vessel Chief Engineer/Captain on required maintenance needs.
- Responsible for managing and closing non-conformities and deficiencies in a timely manner
- Monitor and coordinate vessel certification inspections with external and internal customers.
- Regularly attend vessels while on dry-dock.
- Work with vendors/company personnel, requesting fleet spare equipment be dispatched to support the upkeep of the vessels.
- Responsible for ordering of supplies and spare parts necessary for repairs or maintenance.
- Assist in the development and modification of preventative maintenance plans for vessel equipment.
- Create and maintain a critical spare list for each vessel including location and status of each critical part
- Ensure the engineering procedures and policies are periodically reviewed, modified, and implemented.
- Ensure the implementation of programs, best practices, and policies for Maintenance personnel to achieve an injury-free workplace
- Authorized to approve on-site repairs within budget set by Company Management
- Negotiates prices and timelines for parts and repairs
- Responsible to ensure the company is covered for all Emergency response, spill response, and mitigation of accidents involving vessels
- Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge & Skill Requirements:
- Knowledge of fueling procedures, boat construction, engine repairs, and river systems is required
- Knowledge of USCG regulations is required
- Experience in fleet maintenance or boat/barge design and construction in marine transportation or shipyard environment is preferred
- Previous boat maintenance competence (diesel engines mechanics), extensive structural design of towing vessels and propulsion competence in marine transportation
- Must possess the ability to supervise others, facilitate teamwork and provide functional direction.
- Must possess the ability to communicate professionally and effectively through normal channels, including meetings, email and phone
- Excellent computer skills and understanding of office productivity software such as Google G Suite or MS Office is preferred.
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining careful attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all aspects of job responsibilities.
- Ability to effectively resolve issues in a timely manner using sound judgment and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to demonstrate high degree of professionalism.
- Ability to learn new programs and software including Marine CFO.
- Effective problem solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to follow and work within the Core Values of Hermann Sand and Gravel, Inc and Missouri River Towing, LLC.
Education & Experience:
- High School Diploma/GED
- Maritime industry experience required
- Diploma or Degree from a Technical Program Required
- Must hold a valid Driver’s License and a TWIC card